Wednesday, September 19, 2007

More breakthroughs ...

The Tatoo Twins

Kali is definitely going to be a surgeon when she grows up ... she insists upon washing her hands all the way up to the elbow!

Breakthrough #1:

Kali always wanted to have exactly what Carson had, whether it was something to eat, a toy, anything. We know that most of this came from not knowing the language, so she would just say the same thing Carson would say. The other part of this mix, though, was thinking that she was missing out on something great if she didn't get exactly what her brother did. In the past few weeks, Kali actually asked for something different for breakfast than what Carson was having! I know this sounds trivial, but we really thought that this was a good milestone! Not only does she understand the language better and is figuring out what she likes and dislikes, she is starting to separate herself from Carson!

Breakthrough #2:

And another milestone in the language department ... as part of our bedtime routine, I read the kids two books every night right before bedtime. Carson had been picking out the books because Kali wouldn't sit down to listen anyway. She didn't understand what I was saying, so why should she sit and listen? She was allowed to play in the room while I read, but she couldn't leave the room. Now Carson picks out one book and Kali picks out one book ... and she actually sits and listens to the book! She likes to turn the pages for the most part, but while waiting to turn the page, she listens to the story and will even make comments when she hears something she recognizes!

Little things that mean so much to us as parents!


3 comments:

Amy B. said...

That is so neat! I am so happy that she is adjusting in her new environment and settling in to her new home. Amy

graceling said...

First-time reader of your blog. I am looking to adopt from Ethiopia myself and found your blog through Gladney. If you would be interested in anwsering a few questions about Ethiopian adoption, please leave a comment on my blog. Thanks and God Bless!

Keva said...

I was reading the comment you left on Heart In Africa about not blogging much longer because "who cares now that she is home." Let me just tell you I do. We will be bringing our little boy 12-24mos home soon and I need all the advice I can get from an experienced adoptive parent who has been there. I have a four yr. old adopted from Russia, but I know this experience will be different and all that you could offer would be great. So, just so you know there are people like myself that read and care and want you to stay around.