Sunday, June 3, 2007

Countdown!


Time for one last load of laundry before packing, one last trip to the grocery store for Landree and Carson, and tomorrow we're off!!

We finally told Carson a few days ago that he wasn't going with us. There were a few small protests, but he seems to be accepting it well now. I think what did it was when I told him that if he went with us, he'd have to get more shots ... the memory of five shots at his 4 year check-up was still front and foremost in his mind! We'll just have to wait and see what tomorrow is like too. He's only 4, so the concept of time is still being worked out in his ever expanding little brain. He probably thinks that we'll only be gone a day or so. I'll have to get him a calendar and have Landree help him mark off the days until we return with his baby sister.

It is going to be so hard leaving Carson behind for 12 days. He is such a sweetheart and just the light of our lives. There is nothing better in the world than when he cuddles up next to me and runs his hand down my cheek saying "You're pretty, mommy. I love you." Being a parent has its ups and downs, but the ups are so great so that you can throw all the downs you want at me and I'll still take parenthood!

I must admit that Carson is very much a mommy's boy ... he absolutely must sit next to me when we go out to eat; if Daddy tries to read him his book at night (normally my job), he won't have it; if I give him his bath (normally Rick's job), well that one is ok. So, as I was lying down next to him one night last week to read him his nightly 2 books, I asked him how we were going to do this when Kali comes. We have bunk beds for them and Carson sleeps on the top bunk. I normally lie down next to him to read him his books. I asked him if I was going to have to lie down with Kali on the bottom bunk to read her a book too. Oh, he has this all figured out! I will continue to read him his book, and Daddy gets to read Kali her book. I asked him about going out to dinner ... he will continue to sit next to me and Kali will sit next to Daddy. Basically, he's decided that he belongs to me and Kali is Daddy's! Not sure how this is going to work when we get home and I stay home with Kali while he goes to daycare!! Well, at least we have him calling her Kali now and not Katie, as he insisted on for so long!

And speaking of daycare, I have a plan and I hope it works. I want Carson and Kali to have time together to bond, but I don't want Carson to lose touch with his routine of going to school. And I definitely don't want Kali to think that I am not coming back for her when I leave her at daycare ... flashbacks to being relinquished at an orphanage. I will be taking a "maternity leave" when we return and I plan on continuing Carson in daycare at least 3 days a week. In addition to keeping somewhat of a schedule for Carson, my hope is that Kali will see that we bring him home each evening after dropping him off there, so that she will understand that we will do the same for her when the day comes that she starts daycare. All the experts seem to agree that daycare is actually good for the child who has been in an orphanage, but my heart would just break if she thought that Mommy leaving her was happening all over again!

So, how about all this rain!!! I can't believe that I am leaving my house for 2 weeks in June and I probably won't have to worry about someone watering my plants. Are we really still in Texas??

2 comments:

The Elliott Family said...

That's so funny...Camden insisted that Piper have a different name, too, but is finally over that. It will be interesting to see how the boys all handle their new sisters!

This is so exciting!

See you soon, hopefully!

Be safe!

Anonymous said...

How exciting! I have a two year old son and he is a mommy's boy too. I have told my husband that he gets the next one! How a wonderful trip!
-Emma