Sunday, June 17, 2007

So good to be home!

Our 7 days of computer use at the Hilton ended Wednesday evening, and since that day was so full, we did not have time to update the blog before all hell broke loose!

Kali is definitely comfortable with us and we were reminded that we do indeed have a 2 year old ... her first meltdown came Wednesday evening in the hotel room. Let me tell you, this little girl has some lungs on her!! It was so loud that one of the hotel housekeepers knocked on the door to ask if all was ok. She took Kali in her arms, and I don't know what sweet nothings she said to her, but it stopped the crying instantly. Then the bag of candy she gave Kali didn't hurt either.

On Thursday, she had at least 3 meltdowns before naptime, mainly because she does not like to hear us tell her "no". I hope the social workers aren't reading this, but I must admit that I too had a major meltdown after that, wondering what we had done! How did we get into this and why weren't we happy with just our current family of 4 kids? Honestly, though, I had those same questions right after Carson was born when I was getting up every 4 hours through the night with him. Must mean that I am human, right?

I was so anxious about the plane ride home ... 16 hours on one plane, 8 hour layover in D.C., and then another 3 hour plane ride to DFW. I couldn't eat, I was making myself sick with worry. It must have been an anxiety attack. What if she had more meltdowns on that plane? Her scream is so high and shrill, we couldn't just let her cry it out in such small quarters. We had the Bendryl ready (she really did have quite the runny nose the whole week too, so it was legitimate) and pockets full of candy for bribes.

Well, we made it home and were so relieved to get off that plane at DFW! Dorothy had it right with "there's no place like home".

More to come about the experience later ... she's awake now.

2 comments:

The Elliott Family said...

I am so glad that you made it back home safe! We were getting worried here in Georgetown!

Get some rest and adjusted and when you get time (yeah, right!) let us know how it's going!

Rachel

Anonymous said...

How did I get into this? I remember that question well from when my 3 month old (now 2) was screaming for an hour straight. At least she is comfortable enough with you to let go when she needs to. I can't wait to hear how she and her brother interact. Welcme home!

-Emma