Sunday, June 10, 2007

Monday morning in Addis...

I'll bet you're wondering what happened to Sunday morning in Addis. Well, the internet cable doesn't reach to the bed or the bathroom! Yes, I had to eat my words! I never have trouble with heartburn, indigestion, acid reflux like Rick does. His stomach is much more sensitive than mine so I just assumed that if anyone was going to get sick here it would be him. So sorry, my dear! He is such a good dad. He spent the whole day with Kali and let me rest! I feel much better today, thank goodness. It's still a few more days before we leave, but I can't imagine having to deal with that on the plane! The worst part was the terrible gas pains. I haven't had gas pains like that since my c-section with Carson 4 years ago! I think I'll take it slow today ...


What a pretty girl!

Kali and I bonded Saturday night over the simplest of girly things ... hair! One of my co-workers bought her a little clear plastic Dora purse with scrunchies, barrettes, and brush/mirror in it. I gave it to her and we had the best time! She actually talked to me the whole time. Of course, I have no idea what she was saying since it was all in Amharic, but I think we understood each other perfectly. It's a girl thing!

What a difference 4 days make. She runs around the hotel room now just picking up whichever toy she wants to play with. Yesterday she was turning in circles making herself dizzy. She likes to turn on and off the light switch for the bathroom and she wants to flush the toilet herself now too. We can get her to smile now without having to tickle her, which is a big plus. She did have a small crying bout yesterday, just quietly to herself. I'm sure she is still a bit unsure, she misses her friend from the orphanage, and I'm sure she still remembers some of her mother. It was sad, but we just held her and rocked her until she felt better.

She is beginning to understand a little English. I no longer have to ask her if she has to go potty in Amharic and she understands juice. I am sure it will be no time at all before she starts speaking to us in a few words of English, especially once we get her home to be with her chatterbox brother Carson.

Kali is still quite shy with other people, though, no matter if they are Ethiopian or white. Many people will come up to her and talk to her, especially in the restaurants, but she just stares straight ahead and won't make eye contact, but gives the occasional head bob saying "yes". We're just glad that she is opening up to us and feeling more comfortable.

Tip for the day ... photos of the palace and embassies are not allowed! Basically, if it has a wall around it and looks somewhat official, don't take a picture.

Second tip (since I missed yesterday) ... if Gladney is your adoption agency, be very happy! If you are still trying to decide on which one to choose, choose Gladney. They take such very good care of us. We've met several other Americans here adopting through other adoption agencies. One lady is here with her 19 year old daughter. They had to come for the court date, but the mother did not show up, so now it has been delayed and they have to stay here for 2-3 more weeks! She said that it was already delayed once, as they were supposed to come in April and had to make changes to their plane tickets when there was a delay. Another lady missed her appointment at the embassy (one of the photo taking problems) and has to stay an additional week for this Wednesday. Neither of these women have drivers, but have to rely on the taxis around here. I know how frustrating it is if your court date does not go as expected, but trust me when I say that it is much better for you to wait at home than to have to wait here for any length of time. And how nice that Gladney tells you NOT to make your travel arrangements until after you hear about the court date. The drivers too are the best! Gladney takes excellent care of the children here and the parents. Thank you Gladney!!!

We just watched the final quarter of game 2 of NBA finals (go Spurs!). Remember, 8 hours ahead here. We've found the BBC version of Sesame Street now too. I think TV will help her learn English too. I think that's what helped Dirk (Mavs).

It's off to do some souvenir shopping today!

1 comment:

The Elliott Family said...

Leaps and bounds! That is so awesome that she is picking that stuff up so fast and becoming comfortable with you guys. What a relief, huh?

I am glad that you are feeling better...can you imagine that plane ride??

Thank you so much for taking the time to post to us back here at home...it is so awesome of you!

Rachel

P.S. Question of the day: Did Kali sleep in a crib or bed at the orphanage? Do they share? Just curious. Ok 2 questions, did the real toilet scare her at all?