Saturday, May 26, 2007

Gifts Anyone??

Does anyone have good gift ideas for the caregivers?? We are beginning the shopping sprees to get everything ready for the trip. We have the humanitarian aid (I think I read somewhere that this does not count as luggage, since it appears that we are limited to one piece of checked luggage each ... can anyone confirm that?) and have the beginnings of a list. It appears that only the babies are transferred to the foster home prior to our arrival, so I am assuming that Kali will remain in her orphanage until we get there. I am actually glad of that, as I think the fewer moves she has to upset her life, the better. Anyway, the point of that little side bit is that I don't think we will even be meeting the caregivers at the foster home ... maybe. Maybe we should just bring a whole bunch of things for everyone. How many people would that be exactly? What about those of you who have met Belay ... anything in particular that you can suggest as a gift for him? So many things to keep thinking about!

Since Kali is older and we don't have to pack all the normal baby things that take up so much room (I remember the days of traveling with the mongo size bag of diapers that takes up an entire half of a suitcase!!), I hope to have some extra room for extra gifts. We should be able to pack all of Rick's things in one suitcase and then mine and Kali's things in another (yes, Rick needs his own suitcase ... I know I'll hear from him about that one!). Another sideline ... Rick has washed and is folding the clothes we bought for her right now ... it's one of those "oh, look at this ... how cute ... can't wait to see it on her" moments. After a few more dozen washings, that feeling wears off and it just becomes more laundry!

Would love to hear from those of you who have been there with ideas! Anything in particular that they all seemed to like that we can take more of? I've already got Starbursts and Peanut Butter Cups on the list for Ryan and Abby (thanks for the hint, Mary)!

3 comments:

The Elliott Family said...

I am keeping an eye on your responses...wondering the same thing about gifts.

Didn't realize that it was babies only at the foster home...it makes sense for the older ones not to be moved again...mixed feelings on that one. I wonder about our little girl...will have to send Mary an email!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if this will help but when my niece was adopted from China, I think her parents brought gifts of clothing for the caregivers (they were advised to do so)- jeans with American labels mainly. They bought a variety of sizes of jeans and tops and brought them along.

Amy said...

I can confirm for you that there are only babies in the Gladney car center...Regarding the luggage. We took a total of 4 huge suitcases...you can each check 2, so I don't know how many of you are traveling, but each traveler gets 2 checked...they can not be over 50lbs though. :) We weighed ours several times to make sure. Regarding gifts for the caregivers...Mary told us what to bring, but I think they also suggest just money??? Regarding Belay...I don't know what kind of a gift for him..Mary said it was not necessary. We just paid for his dinner once while we were out...we did the same thing for Ryan and Abby, plus the starbursts. Hope that helps! We have been back for a few weeks now...Its AMAZING for sure!