Thursday, May 31, 2007

Three days and counting ...


I work with the best people in the world! Today was my last full day of work before our travels begin and my co-workers threw me a surprise shower today! It was truly unexpected and so wonderful of them. There are only 13 of us in my office, but with everything Kali received today from just these people, she won't have to wear the same outfit twice this summer! Since we bought Dora for her bed, Dora was the theme of the day. Kali is going to come home from Ethiopia seeing Dora and Boots in her sleep!

In addition to the shower, I received numerous phone calls and emails from the great agents we work with sending lots of good wishes and congratulations. I am sure they all knew that I was desperately trying to get my desk clean before leaving for a month because I had very few work related emails. I was able to get very close to my goal of leaving a clean desk. Just an hour or two on Saturday and I can leave on Monday with a clean conscience.

Mary has confirmed for us that we are allowed 2 bags of luggage each and, yes, the humanitatian aid counts as luggage. Rather than trying to pack everything in 4 suitcases, we will use 2 suitcases for clothes, etc, and we bought a couple of 18x18x16 boxes from the UPS store to pack the humanitarian aid. We have right at 49 pounds of diapers, formula, wipes and candy (wonder if the candy counts as humanitarian aid) in each box! I did inquire about shipping this to Ethiopia ahead of time, but Mary said that shipping is not advisable (hmmm ... wonder how many people ask about shipping and how many times they have to answer this question ... maybe they should just go ahead and put it in the Ethiopia travel packet up front). We arrive in DC Monday night and our plan is to go straight to the Ethiopian Air counter to check the bags right away, even though our flight isn't until the next morning. After all, I believe the airlines allow you to check in 24 hours in advance now. If you can check in from your home computer before even getting to the airport, surely they will allow us to check in the night before so that we don't have to lug all that stuff to the DC hotel with us.

We can't believe that this is finally upon us! To borrow from another blog, it is now Ethiopia or bust!!

3 comments:

The Elliott Family said...

I will be perched on the edge of my seat!!!

Safe travels!!

Rach

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you even though I don't know you. Will you blog from Ethiopia?
-Emma

Quinn Girls said...

Have an awesome trip. Please give my little Tsebay lots of love if you meet her in your travels.

Maria