Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Out of the mouths of babes ...

Further to my comments about raising a toddler ...

Yesterday when I picked Carson up from daycare, he asked me if he had a Nana. I explained to him that "Nana" is just another name for Grandmother and that he indeed has 2 nanas, but he calls them Grandma and Meme. Then he asked me if I am a nana. Thankfully, I was able to tell him no, not yet, that neither Landree, Channing, nor Jordan were married or had children yet. Carson responds, "But I am married to you and Daddy", at which I could only chuckle and respond "If you say so". (We've been through this before, trying to explain what being married is, and he just won't accept that he isn't married to me and Daddy.) Then the sweetest, most heart-tugging question ... "When you become a nana, will I have to find a new Mommy?" I tried to assure him many times over that I would ALWAYS AND FOREVER be his mommy, even if I do become a nana. Then he started whimpering ... "I don't want you to be a nana, or Daddy to be a grandpa either." I really hated to tell him (this goes out to Lori & Ted, another Ethiopian blog) ... people already think we ARE a nana and a grandpa ... to him!! And I thought we still looked so young ...

No comments: