Friday, May 11, 2007

Answering some questions

So, I have been getting some questions from friends and family and thought I might try to answer some things here ...

Everyone wants to know if Kali speaks English. My best answer is "I don't know". If I had to guess, I would say no. Amharic is the official language of Ethiopia, though we've been told that English is widely spoken and understood there too. Doesn't that just seem to be the case with so much of the world anyway?? At the age of 2-1/2, her verbal skills are still "under construction" as it is, so I'm not sure there is much of anything she speaks that anyone other than a mother would understand. For those of you who have toddlers or who have ever had a toddler, you'll understand that one! We will learn a few necessary phrases in Amharic just to be on the safe side. Ok, I say "we", I mean "I". Rick has a hard enough time with English (can you say nuclear? ... inside joke!).

The other question I keep getting is whether I have decorated the nursery yet. What nursery?? She is 2-1/2 years old! Actually, we decided some time ago, long before we even knew who she was, that she would share a room with Carson. I had considered moving them both into the bigger of the two secondary bedrooms, but then Jordan moved home. Believe me, he and his electronic toys and all of his clothes take up that room nicely! We bought bunk beds last year in anticipation of Kali. I don't know what we would have done had Gladney chosen a 1 year old for us ... there is no room in that bedroom for a crib! Anyway, Carson is in love with Dora and Diego and asked for a Diego bed for several months before his birthday. I just hope Kali isn't too freaked out by the giant Dora head that is on her bed! Maybe she'll also learn Spanish from sleeping on Dora!



Last week I made up a small photo album showing our family for Kali. Mary (the Ethiopian coordinator for Gladney) was leaving for Ethiopia today and she offered to take the photo album for me. I wanted Kali to have a glimpse of her new family prior to our arrival so that we are not complete strangers to her. I also enclosed a small stuffed animal for her so that she would have something of her own that she could take with her when she leaves the orphanage. Had I been thinking properly, I would have slept with the stuffed animal before sending it. I know it sounds silly, but when Carson started daycare after 3 months at home with me, I wanted him to feel safe and comfortable there; so I slept for several nights with the blanket that would go with him to daycare, hoping that it would soak up some scent of Mommy for him. The silly things Mommys do for their children!
I have been reading Toddler Adoption: The Weaver's Craft and I must say that it is scaring me just a bit. It is a very good book and gives a lot of good information. But it also gives worst case scenarios, and they are a bit worrisome. This is such a hard age for adoption .. the child is old enough to know that something different is happening but not really old enough to know what it is. I know we will go through some rough patches, but my deepest hope is that this huge adjustment is not too terrifying for Kali. The book does give very good information on how to help your child attach to you and to allow for the grieving process as well. We have been told that the Ethiopian orphanges are filled with very loving caregivers for these children, and that is a giant plus in aiding Kali's transition. All of the blogs that we have been following certainly reinforce this information. I particularly love the beautiful montage of photos set to music on the "Elizabeth Alem" blog. You made both of us cry!

I know that the most difficult part of our journey ahead will be leaving behind all of the beautiful children who so desperately want a forever home. I know that my sweet husband will shed a few tears over this!

No comments: