Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Shots ... arghh!!

I keep telling myself that if my 4 year old can handle getting 5 shots at his 4 year check up, I can certainly handle them as well! I strongly suggest that you begin getting your shots as soon as you get your referral or know that your paperwork is in Ethiopia. I looked up the recommended shots on the CDC website (very informative, by the way), and they recommend getting your shots 4-6 weeks before traveling. But they also go on to say that you really are not fully immunized form Hepatitis-B until after your 3rd booster ... 7 months after getting the first one!

Living in our itty bitty town, we have to go to the Public Health Department in Fort Worth. Apparently, they stay pretty busy because when I called to make the appointment for Rick and I to get the shots, they couldn't get us in for 2 weeks. And according to the lady who made the appointment for us, she advised getting the shots at an absolute minimum of 2 weeks before we arrive in Ethiopia. After reviewing the immunization info provided by CDC, I understand why. They advise that you are fully protected from Hepatitis-A 30 days after inoculation, but that you have a good, high level of the antibodies after only 2 weeks.

As it turns out, our appointment date is the same as our court date, so we may be crying and smiling all at the same time!!

I cannot wait for Mary to return from Ethiopia. I really want to know if she was able to see Kali and give her the photo album and gift we sent for her.

Almost time for American Idol ... gotta run!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I commented on your blog a week or so ago and I was wondering if you could explain a little bit about hwo you decided on the age of the child you wanted to adopt. I am hoping to adopt someday from Ethiopia and I always thought I wanted an infant but ever since I read There is no me WIthout You I have been thinking about a toddler, older child or sibling group. I am curious to understand how other families have made this decision.Best of luck as your adoption proceeds!